Pages

Saturday, December 9, 2017

RSC2016 Update

Last year was my first year participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I got a late start and spent most of the year trying to catch up. I chose a scrappy bow tie quilt made up of 2" finished blocks. Nearly 800 of them!



I was so excited to get it all put together and add an appliqued floral border. I wanted to do the applique before I put the borders on so I wouldn't have to do so much twisting and turning of the large quilt. (This quilt top was surprisingly heavy - I assume it's because the extra small blocks have a lot of seam allowances on the back side. In fact, they almost cover the backs of the blocks, so it's like the quilt has twice the normal amount of fabric.)



Anyway, I made the borders but when I laid them out to pin to the quilt, the vines didn't meet at the corners. I felt pretty dumb for not having the foresight to see that was going to happen. And at that point, the quilt immediately found a new home crumpled up in the closet!

I posted a picture on Instagram with just one border and mentioned how I messed up and had kind of given up on it. Then I received some kind and encouraging words from @redbirdquiltco.

I did eventually get it back out and put together as best I could. I made four more flowers and tried to make the vines "grow" out of the corners.




It's a bright and cheerful quilt - it'll never be a show quilt. But, it never would have anyway...even if the borders had been perfect.

And now I'm a big fan of the saying "finished is better than perfect"!


26 comments:

  1. Your bowtie quilt is beautiful, and I love the applique border even though it didn't work out as perfectly as you had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is just amazing! I love the layout of the bowties and the applique border. I enlarged your photo to see how you solved the corner problem, and it works so well. Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your finished quilt is gorgeous!! I love it so much!! Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great save on those borders. Your quilt is SPECTACULAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finished is fabulous! Great solution to the border problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! Thank you for finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a beautiful rainbow finish. LOOKS LIKE A SHOW QUILT TO ME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so pretty! And 800 block--wow. That's perseverance! Congratulations on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is gorgeous - if you hadn't mentioned a problem with the appliqué borders I wouldn't have know you had had a problem. I have looked and still can't see a problem. The quilt is lovely, so glad you persevered and completed it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! What a task and what a beautiful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally relate to this process!
    So glad you didn't give up because this is a gorgeous show quilt!
    It's so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first thing that caught my eye was the bow tie layout, with the larger pattern. And 800 blocks - amazing. I would never have noticed the corners except to think what a beautiful appliqué it is. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful quilt! If you had not mentioned the situation with the borders I would not have noticed.

    Great colorful piece of work...you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your quilt is beautiful! congrats on the finish, and persevering to the finish line- it's obviously worth every minute you spent on it. who's the lucky recipient?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bow tie quilt is a grand prize winner in my book! Who on earth makes perfect quilts anyway? I think it’s gorgeous, and you did an amazing job of correcting your human error. Did I say it was gorgeous? LOL. I’ll be happy if my eventual bow tie quilt turns out have as nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome! Regardless of what you think of the borders, they look like you intended them to look that way. I'm sure it would come out with a ribbon if you were to expose it. Congratulations! It's awesome! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what a pretty quilt. I think your boarders are great. I am not sure I would have noticed if you did not say there was something not just right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it looks spectacular - especially the borders. It is unique and makes me smile -hope it makes you smile too! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous quilt - kudos for persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your border corners look well-planned, so your save was perfect. If you never say anything about it, no one would even guess! Well done, and beautiful to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All the way around, GORGEOUS !!! The applique is beautiful too. Just a magnificent piece. I bet it could hold it's own in a quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great work! Your borders (and entire quilt) look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! That's fabulous! Well done for getting it finished, and a shout-out to the helpful tip from your IG friend. I admire your dedication in making so very many tiny bow tie blocks!

    ReplyDelete